By Sonam Smith
- Two new intelligence assessments warned that far-right individuals associated with the ‘boogaloo’ movement may soon target Washington, DC, Politico reported.
- One note, from the National Capital Region Threat Intelligence Consortium (NTIC), said that “the District is likely a target for violent adherents of the boogaloo ideology due to the significant presence of US law enforcement entities, and the wide range of First Amendment-Protected events hosted there.”
- The Department of Homeland Security published its own assessment on Friday with a similar conclusion.
- The DHS note said that “domestic terrorists advocating for the boogaloo very likely will take advantage of any regional or national situation involving heightened fear and tensions to promote their violent extremist ideology and call supporters to action.”
- These findings come amid multiple instances of far-right individuals being arrested for allegedly stoking violence connected to nationwide demonstrations against police brutality following the death of George Floyd.