By Charles Davis
- The New Mexico Civil Guard announced on Sunday that it is pulling out of an August 22 rally that features a number of local Republicans.
- The news comes after Business Insider reported on the existence of the rally, which was to pay “special tribute” to the group, whose leaders include a neo-Confederate and a member of the Proud Boys, a Southern Poverty Law Center-designated hate group.
- In a post on Facebook, the New Mexico Civil Guard said that state Republicans had shown the group “an overwhelming amount of very appreciated support.”
- But the paramilitary group claimed it could not attend the rally because “key speakers have publicly made some remarks that came across as blatantly racist.”
- The rally is set to feature Cowboys for Trump founder Couy Griffin, who has argued that Black athletes protesting racism in the US should “go back to Africa.”
Categories: Culture Wars/Current Controversies
Leave a Reply