Mother who went to court in failed bid to stop brain tumour son having radiotherapy says he is a shadow of himself after 30 sessions Reply

The Daily Mail

A mother revealed today how her eight-year-old son is ‘not the boy I know any more’ after he went through radiotherapy treatment she controversially fought hard at the High Court to prevent.

Sally Roberts, of Brighton, East Sussex, who lost a high-profile case last year to stop the treatment for her son Neon’s brain tumour, said he ‘just crumbled into me’ after the radiation therapy.

The 37-year-old said Neon has gone through 30 radiation sessions since the court battle and is now ‘broken’ with chronic fatigue, ‘grey and fragile’, ‘cries over the smallest things’ and ‘barely eats’.

Sally Roberts
Neon Roberts

Distraught: Sally Roberts (left), of Brighton, East Sussex, who lost a high-profile case last year to stop the treatment for her son Neon’s (right) brain tumour, said he ‘just crumbled into me’ after the radiation therapy

‘I look into my little boy’s eyes and there’s nothing there,’ she told the Sunday Mirror. ‘I see this child who was always laughing and happy sitting with his little head in his hands crying.

‘The thing that scared me most was that the radiation would change him, damage him. And it’s done both. The courts have taken Neon from me because I tried to protect him.’

 

She added that Neon is also now suffering from constipation, mouth sores and a reduction in saliva.

Mrs Roberts described watching her son comply with doctors as he was strapped to a table and a mask placed over his head, wanting to scream and bang her fists against a glass wall in front of her.

The New Zealand-born mother had earlier gone into hiding with her son because she did not want Neon to have treatment, before both of them were found unharmed last December.

Troubled: Mrs Roberts described watching her son comply with doctors as he was strapped to a table and a mask placed over his head, wanting to scream and bang her fists against a glass wall in front of herTroubled: Mrs Roberts described watching her son comply with doctors as he was strapped to a table and a mask placed over his head, wanting to scream and bang her fists against a glass wall in front of her

Doctors said Neon could have died if he hadn’t have had the treatment, but Mrs Roberts insisted she was worried it could have done him long-term harm such as causing brain damage or infertility.

‘I look into my little boy’s eyes and there’s nothing there. I see this child who was always laughing and happy sitting with his little head in his hands crying’

Sally Roberts

She was hoping for alternative treatments that would avoid destroying his immune system and other complications associated with radiotherapy, reported the Sunday Mirror.

The boy’s custody has been given to his father Ben following the legal battle, while the boy’s twin sister Elektra still lives with Mrs Roberts. ‘Losing one of them is like losing a limb,’ she said.

He is due to start chemotherapy next month and Mrs Roberts said she cannot fight this treatment unless she can gather £80,000 to pay for NHS costs if she loses the case.

Neon will not be allowed to live with her until this treatment has concluded, which could take a year.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s