Culture Wars/Current Controversies

Why Joe Biden Should Be Our Last President

Alexis Grenall, political consultant and columnist at The Nation, joins Emma Vigeland to discuss her view that Joe Biden should be out last president and that the United States should move to a parliamentary system. Read the full article by Alexis Grenall at https://www.thenation.com/article/pol…

1 reply »

  1. America desperately needs to abolish “Duverger’s Law”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law

    “In political science, Duverger’s law holds that single-ballot plurality-rule elections (such as first past the post) structured within single-member districts tend to favor a two-party system.

    “[T]he simple-majority single-ballot system favours the two-party system.[1]”

    — Maurice Duverger
    “The discovery of this tendency is attributed to Maurice Duverger, a French sociologist who observed the effect and recorded it in several papers published in the 1950s and 1960s. In the course of further research, other political scientists began calling the effect a “law” or principle.”

    “As a corollary to the law, Duverger also asserted that proportional representation favors multi-partism, as does the plurality system with runoff elections.”

    “[B]oth the simple-majority system with second ballot and proportional representation favour multi-partism.[2]”

    — Maurice Duverger”
    [end of quote]

    I’ve suggested, for Congress, a new system that in an election, “everybody wins”, but the size of their influence votes in Congress depends on the number of their votes in the election.

    Put simply, if there are two candidates and one gets 51% and the other gets 49%, both candidates “win”, but one gets “0.51 votes” and the other gets “0.49 votes”. The second can almost completely cancel out the first’s vote, when they disagree, but their votes add when they agree.

Leave a Reply