Race and Ethnicity

How Big of a Deal is Racism Today?

A pretty big one, says a poster on an anarchist social media forum.

•Constitutions affirms the fact that African Americans are only 3/5 human
• While people of color only make up 30% of the total population, they are 60% of the total prison population.
• Blacks are disproportionately jailed for non-violent drug offenses, even though drug use is higher in the white community. While only 14% of blacks use drugs, 37% of those arrested for drugs are black.
• A 2013 Georgetown study found that even though white and minority students prepare for college at about the same rates, white students are vastly overrepresented in the nation’s 468 elite institutions.
• A report from the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights in 2011 concluded that police stop white drivers and pedestrians far less than they stop their counterparts of color. Programs in cities across the country such as stop-and-frisk have also been shown to disproportionately target black and brown people.
• ABC News reported that the April 2015 unemployment rate for black people hit a seven-year low of 9.6 percent. Still, it followed the trend of being roughly twice as high as the white unemployment rate, which currently stands at 4.7 percent.
• According to a report from the Huffington Post, 2014 information from the Department of Education showed that “public school students of color get more punishment and less access to veteran teachers than their white peers,” which affects drop-out rates and educational outcomes for students of color.
• Researchers from the University of Chicago and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology released the results of a study last year, which revealed that “white sounding” names were 50 percent more likely to get a call back on a job application. That’s with the same resume and same qualifications—but just the sound of an applicant’s name can trigger racial biases.
• An October 2014 report from the Women’s Donor Network showed that women and people of color only hold 29 percent of the nation’s estimated 42,000 elected offices. The other 71 percent, at the time, were occupied by white men. Many of America’s police forces based in communities of color have white officers vastly overrepresented in their ranks. In 2011, according to the National Center of Education Statistics, 79 percent of all full-time college faculty were white.
• Black parents have to explain to their kids why murderers like George Zimmerman or Johannes Mehserle are allowed to walk free and have their crime be debated by the public – would never have happened if it was black-on-white crime.
• Being white automatically means you won’t be subject to Islamophobia.
• Whites can turn on the tv and find their race and people that look like them widely represented.
• When we talk about our shared cultural history as Americans, we largely talk about the accomplishments of whites. Accomplishments by historically important minority figures are almost always given a special name; “Black History”, etc.

2 replies »

Leave a Reply to Georg Holger Bård Mahesha Hummel Cancel reply